Username and password overload
With the ever changing abundant use of technology these days, it’s no wonder our brains aren’t fried yet. I know many of you out there like myself suffer from what I like to call UPO or Username password overload.
For me, it starts first thing in the morning. When I get up, I just HAVE to log into my Facebook to take my turn in Words with Friends and to see who commented on anything I may have posted the night before. Okay, don’t judge me, I know you do it too. Then, I check my bank statement to make sure that I haven’t overdrawn my account yet before payday and that I have enough in there to buy my morning coffee so I don’t have to rob my child’s piggy bank. After that, I might check Twitter.. just because. Then my AOL, Verizon, and Gmail mailboxes because maybe I got a new coupon that I could use (for some reason most coupons come through at 3am, weird), or I could get some information on an actual legit work from home business and I wouldn’t have to go to work! So, before I head to the office I have already entered 6 different combinations of usernames and passwords. These are fairly easy to remember since I am using them daily, and most likely more than once. But it gets trickier as the day goes on….
I get to work and it’s time to log into my netbook provided to me by the company. Before I can even get into my company email, I have to enter 3 different combos of usernames and passwords just to get there! I am one of those people at work that hardly logs in and checks their email. I am the one that the MIS department sends emails out to remind people to clean up their inbox. As of right now, I have about 1,000 messages in my inbox, and about 2,000 in my deleted file! So that tells you I am a major slacker and when logging into my netbook, I have to really think hard about what my login info is. Most times I get locked out for too many attempts and then have to track someone down to reset me. Super annoying. How am I supposed to get any work done? Sheesh…
I pay all of my bills online. Why not? It saves time and money, and it lets me get by without worrying if I sent the check out too early and taking the risk of it bouncing! (i’m terrible at saving money!) But, it can get quite bothersome when you have to log into your-utilities, cable, credit cards, car loans, cell phone, and insurance policy websites. Did I use this email address or that email address? Is there a capital letter in my password and is it 5 digits or 6 digits, or a combination of letters, numbers, and sometimes special characters?? Overload!!
Username and/or password incorrect. Are you kidding me? Which one is it username OR password for crying out loud?! How am I supposed to remember? Sure, I could write them all down on one piece of paper, but then where did I put it? I will never keep my computer logged into a site, or let Google chrome remember my password. That to me is a hackers paradise. I also don’t want to use the same username and password for every site either because I feel that if they can hack into one account with that info, they are going to check to see if it works on another.
Miraculously, I am able to remember my usernames and passwords 95% of the time. Occasionally I will forget one or two, and then scramble to find the piece of paper that I actually did write it down on. There are still some other sites that I use occasionally that I didn’t mention above and sometimes those make up the other 5% like Netflix, a rewards program website, myfitnesspal, my 401k account, YouTube, etc…It just kills me to have to re-enter my account info, check my email on how to reset my account, and answer questions like what was the name of your first pet, or what street did you grow up on?
But we do it… HOW do we do it? Our brains are on overload yet they still manage to remember a variety of letters, numbers and characters for 20 different websites yet sometimes I can’t even remember what I ate for dinner the night before! And to think, in high school I had to have the maintenance man come and break the lock off of my locker a number of times because I couldn’t remember the combo!